The History of Kaprun - the Milestones
In the year 931 Kaprun was mentioned for the first time as "Chataprunnin" (wild water).
For many hundred years it remained a mountain village. It's history, characterised by the upturn and pioneering activities, is closely linked to the surrounding mountains - particularly the Kitzsteinhorn glacier region. Important stages in Kaprun's development:
- Since 1912 a road connection gave regular access to buses
- 1955 completion of the Tauern power station
- From 1964 the power station was used to connect the Kitzsteinhorn glacier region with a cable car
- Consequently employment & economic growth increased
- Summer & winter tourism helped this growth
- The population more than tripled in the period from 1934-1961
- Since 1989 the Rudolfshof has been a part of this success
The Kitzsteinhorn Glacier – A Giant in Austrian Alps
The Kaprun community, together with the Tauern power station and the Salzburg region, founded the "Gletscherbahnen Kaprun AG" glacier railway corporation on 01/08/1963. That was the beginning of a great partnership between the small community and the approx. 3,200 m high glacier!
Thanks to the first cable car to the Kitzsteinhorn in 1965, the glacier became a year-round ski region with the guarantee of snow 365 days a year. Over the years this skiing region has been expanded considerably.
But why dwell upon the past? You should come and experience the fantastic and unique areas of Kaprun & the Kitzsteinhorn for yourselves!… Kaprun is looking forward to welcoming you!